URGENT: Can’t boot into PC due to kernel errors & cannot access important data. (error 0xc0000221)

S

SalCalifornia

Out of the blue, the other day when turning on my computer I got a blue screen with an error message. Below is an exact copy of the message I get:

Recovery

Your PC couldn’t start properly

The operating system couldn’t be loaded because the kernel is missing or contains errors.

File: \windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Error code: 0xc0000221

You’ll need to use recovery tools. If you don’t have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.

Press Enter to try again

Press F1 to enter Recovery Environment

Press F8 for Startup Settings

Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings”

Other people use this computer so I asked if they had done anything that might cause this issue, but it seems like they’ve all just used the computer normally as we always have. It’s possible an update caused this issue but no one recalls anything so I can’t be sure. The message suggests that I use “recovery tools” but I’m not sure exactly what sort of recovery tools it’s referring to. I came across something called a “recovery drive” but that seems to only be useful if you’ve set it up before you have any issues. All the options it gives me don’t work except for Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings, where I can access the ASUS UEFI BIOS Utility (version 2.16.1240 - 2014 American Megatrends) which has tons of menus and options. I’m not sure if that’s useful or not but I thought I should mention it.

I’ve read about a “system restore” feature which removes recently installed apps, drivers, and updates which may have caused the issue. However I’m a little bit confused on exactly how I would set that up or if that would be useful for my situation.

My main concern is that there are extremely important files on the computer that aren’t backed up anywhere else. I’m not sure what I should use to try and fix the issue or at the very least, allow me to access the important files so I can back them up to an external drive and reinstall Windows from there. To make matters worse, it’s a time sensitive issue that I get access to these files and get the computer up and running again.

Any help is desperately needed and would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I do have a spare old laptop with Windows 10 and a clean USB, so I am able to install whatever is needed on a USB which I could boot into on the affected computer, I just don’t know exactly what sort of recovery tools I could use.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom