Hard Drive OS Repair/Access on a hard drive attached as a external hard drive

M

Michael Barnes18

I have a computer originally from my son. It had not been running for 5-7 years, (burnt power supply). I was updating to most current Win 10 and the files got corrupted at version 1909 and it won't boot. In Win PE recovery mode I've tried system restore, system reset, advanced start options: all safe mode options, block driver signature; all to no avail. (This will teach me to do backup/ restore points for each step). DISM running out of recovery environment gives messages that it is unable to access the image file. Originally planned to update and send all files, (mostly pictures), to my grandson, (should have done that first). My son died 2/02 this year. I have the password to the computer. It appears my son only used local user account and did not have a MS account. I've moved the drive to an external drive enclosure and connected via E SATA to my computer to try and repair the OS there, (Got a lot of learning to do to get that done). Want to access files to move to a USB to send to Grandson, but security won't let me. Is there a way to enter the password from the old computer to allow access to the files?

Continue reading...