Cannot Install Feature Update to Windows 10, Version 20H2

W

WillBerner

Hey there,

I've recently been unable to update my copy of Windows 10 to the latest version - 20H2.

Specs:

• i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz
  • 64.0 GB DDR4
  • 2x2TB NVMe SSD (Primary OS drive has ~800GB free)
  • Version 1909
  • OS build 18363.1440 installed on 8/11/2019

I've tried and failed to update multiple times (11 times now I believe) receiving this message in my update history settings:

- Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2 (11)

- Last failed install attempt on ‎3/‎30/‎2021 - 0x80242016

- Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909

- Successfully installed on ‎11/‎11/‎2020

I've tried googling the hex error "0x80242016" but couldn't find a solution that worked for me after trying a fair few. I've used the automatic Windows troubleshooter as well as trying to troubleshoot myself with common solutions given by windows, but to no avail.

When restarting to install the update, on the "configuring windows update" screen before a reboot, my progress always jumps from 0% to 40% or 50% immediately before powering off and rebooting. There's never an update attempting to install after the reboot before the login screen appears. This leads me to believe the issue is in configuring the update before the shutdown.

After rebooting, I get a *brilliantly helpful* reminder that the update once again failed. Returning to the Windows Update settings tab, I must always reinstall the update again before restarting. The installing here does not jump % or seem abnormal.

Windows is now telling me at least daily I need to update or my service will end, which I'd prefer to avoid lol.

I'm happy to provide more specs or info, or system logs if I can be told how to access them. I'm comfortable using the command line as well if that can be of use in diagnosing this. Thank you!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom