10 TB internal HDD keeps disappearing at start up

T

tommyboy39

Good day all,

I will try and be as thorough as possible. Thank you in advance for any suggestions or tips that you may have to offer. I believe this to be a faulty HDD but I wanted to cover all my bases before I RMA this thing.

I purchased a 10 TB Western Digital Black drive about 6 weeks ago. I installed it and started my up-to-date version of Win 10 pro 64 bit. While it seemed to be seen in Win 10, I could not initialize it and format it. No big deal, I'll shut the computer down and check the cable connections. All seemed good there but i disconnected them and then reconnected them anyway just to be sure. Upon restart, I was able to initialize and format the drive and all seemed to be good for around 4 weeks. I started my PC up one morning and I noticed that the 10 TB drive was not showing up in file explorer. I opened up the computer management console and went to Disk Management and it wanted me to initialize my already initialized and formatted drive. I certainly was not going to do that as I had over 4 TB of music on it. I shut down the computer and adjusted the cabling again (this time I moved the cable to a different SATA port) and restarted and all was well once again. On my next start up, the drive letter was gone yet again and it wanted me to initialize the drive again. Over the next several days, this happened several times.

Beyond what I have mentioned, I also took the following steps to try and correct the problem:

01: I have tried known working cables and SATA ports. I have other drives connected to these that always appear in file explorer.

02: I have used cables from these same working drives to this 10 TB drive and the problem eventually happens again.

03: I have used known working SATA ports with this drive and the problem eventually happens again.

04: I have tried the drive in another PC with different working cables and the problem eventually happens again, even with known working SATA ports as well.

05: I have checked the setting in the BIOS and all seems to be in check there. If the drive does not show up in the BIOS, it does not show up in File Explorer either.

06: I have updated the motherboard drivers, BIOS firmware and attempted to update the HDD drivers to no effect. Problem still exists.

07: I have tried to run the hardware troubleshooter in Windows but it is not even an option when I select: Troubleshooting - All Categories.

This drive does not just randomly disappear while the PC is running. It has always been after a start-up. It will not even let me initialize it even though it wants me too. I get the message: "A device which does not exist was specified".

At least this time I can just erase the drive as the little data that I did move back to is already backed up.

Any suggestions beyond what I have tried are welcome.

Thank you.

e88bc340-8fe2-4fce-9313-c518e0641aac?upload=true.jpg6b556606-e53a-4d36-8e9d-2801eb2f703e?upload=true.jpg

Continue reading...