Stop Windows 10 from updating ever?

A

AnthonyGiorgianni1

Hello All

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 1)]
Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1709 (build 16299.1087)​
[/COLOR]

I have ongoing problems with Windows update and I'm trying to turn it off permanently, if possible.

I've had many, many instances in which Windows has tried to update - version 20H2, Version 1903 and 1803.

The problem is that Windows take a long time to update and then either informs me that it can't update, and rolls back to the pervious build until it tries updating again. (It keeps giving me different errors codes) Or I get a blue screen after the update. I have RollbackRx, so I am able to rollback back to different points, at least one of which will start. But then the whole update process starts again. I keep telling Windows to wait to restart, but it gets really annoying. I've even set update to times when I know I won't be on the computer. But eventually, Windows insists on updating, even restarting on its own if I'm away from the computer. I lose work when this happens.

It's trying to update again as I'm writing this. I've told it once again to wait an hour for the third time today.

The version of Windows I have is just fine. I don't care to update.

Is there any way to stop this permanently?

Note: I've also tried reinstalling Windows, but that fails too, with, in one case at least, giving me a code: page fault in non-page area. It says shield.sys failed, which happens to be RollbackRx. But I don't want to delete Rollback to see if that works, since it's the only thing saving me when I blue screen.

Note that if I try to make a boot disk with this computer (Thinkpad W530). that doesn't work either (It says I have missing files. I run SFC, but I don't have a copy of Window 10 to do anything, except the Win 10 setup I downloaded from MS, which, as I explained, fails to install.

Any thoughts on how I can just disable this?

Many thanks!

Anthony Giorgianni

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom