My PC is slowing my WiFi connection to a crawl for every device in the network

S

Squashed Mos

Hi there!

My computer is slowing the internet connection for EVERYONE, here's the story:

My internet is around 30 mbps (yes, I know it's slow, believe it or not it's rather enough for me) and works fine throughout my house with speeds in the range of 15-25 mbps in most places. However, the signal doesn't reach my PC properly and moving the modem is not an option, so I bought a TP-Link Re200 wifi extender, I mostly use it to connect my XB1X via ethernet, works like a charm too. Now, I decided to connect my PC via ethernet as well through this setup. As soon as my PC is turned on, before it even finishes booting up, the WiFi speed throughout the house drops to around 0.5-2 mbps. The instant I unplug the ethernet cable from the wifi extender (meaning I leave my PC without internet connection), the speed goes back up, keep in mind this is even before booting finishes and I log into my Windows account. Also, this problem is not ALWAYS present, sometimes it works ok, sometimes it doesn't. I just went WiFi through the extender and connected to the XB1X via ethernet and the network is fine, then I reconnected my PC via ethernet through the extender and now it's working fine. I discard the extender being the problem because it would affect everything by being on regardless of how I connect to it... right?

Anyway, I have now definitely connected via wifi through the extender, and it all seems to be going well, but I want to understand what the problem might be so that I may address it.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom