Cortana running in background

• Thread starter TheDailyReticent
  • Start date
T

TheDailyReticent

Hey there!!!

So i have been using windows 10 for a while now. Recently i noticed that whenever i speak anything close to my microphone(which i always keep inserted in my CPU's jack) the mic icon pops up in the taskbar on the bottom right. Which certainly means that the microphone caught what i spoke near it and processed it. And as soon as i stop speaking the icon vanishes away. This happens even when i am not using an app or a website which requires audio input. So does this mean that my microphone is catching whatever is being spoken near it?

Then i tried to find out where this input audio is going that my microphone is catching. I opened the task manager and found out that Cortana is running in background constantly with around 2.2 MB memory usage and 'very low' power usage status. But whenever i speak near my microphone its memory usage spikes to around 36 MB and 'low' power usage status which really freaks me out. Because that means the input that my microphone catches from its vicinity is being directed to cortana. And i really cant figure out what cortana does with that input. I mean cortana is just an assistant and shouldn't really need to hear anything else.

So my final question is that why is cortana running in background? And why is it hearing me when microsoft clearly says that it cannot hear you until you say 'hello cortana' or press its mic button? Is it spying on the users and sending its data somewhere?

Thanks!!!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom