Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) doesn't work by default after reboot in Windows 10 (only works via disabling and then enabling it for connection I w

T

t3chwizard

Came across this thread from 2016 referring to ICS not working in Windows 10 build 1607 post reboot, and yet it is 2021 and I am still experiencing this issue on Windows 10 20H2. I am sure I am not the only one. That thread is locked so I am making a new thread. (be advised I am not really active here so I am just putting this here to hopefully help others in the same boat as me)

Basically the issue is as follows:

• Set ICS up to share internet via your preferred interface (usb ethernet etc... whatever) it works (for now)
  • Reboot the pc then it stops working
  • Have to go into adapter settings>properties>sharing for the interface I want to share the internet from where upon it will still show the interface I specified for it to share to but it will be a static entry. Then I will disable sharing for this interface, hit ok and then go back in and set it again and it works once again.
  • This has to be done every time you reboot the computer or it will not work until you do so.

It appears the post in this other thread detailing the steps to edit the registry and the service modification to autostart ICS from Ivan Piacun MIITP CITPNZ seem to do the trick.

As per their post the steps are the following:

To fix this issue, set the following registry subkey (create a new one):

Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedAccess​

Type: DWORD(32bit)​

Setting/Name: EnableRebootPersistConnection​

Value: 1​

Then, change the ICS Service Startup mode to Automatic.

Regardless of if that registry edit fixes the issue or not, this seems to be a simple thing to fix so I don't see why it hasn't been fixed since 2016 as we are now in 2021

PLEASE FIX THIS MICROSOFT!!! It appears to have been an issue since 2016 or so

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom