One Laptop, two drives, main drive maybe failing, second install win 10

S

syncopates

I have a 2013 ASUS G75VX i7 3630, 16 Gig Ram. Original HDD is 1TB split roughly 40/60. C;\ holds Windows 10, the D:\ portion, data. I also have 22 TB of external.

I've been experiencing extremely slow startups, 5-10 mins, more noticeable after an update. For whatever reason, a week or so after the update things settle out and the startup is bearable but still slow. The update where Edge switched to Chrome was a disaster. Took me two weeks to get the computer operational.

I began to wonder if the drive was in part to blame, on it's last legs. So recently, I downloaded a couple of apps to verify drive health: ATTO, Crystal Disk, Data Lifeguard, Seagate Tools as well as used the tools available with Windows. Most suggest that the drive is healthy, one suggest it isn't.

As a precaution, I purchased a 1 TB WD internal drive, installed it in the second drive bay. I am wondering if I can install a second copy of Win 10 on this new drive, as a safety precaution? Or install a second copy on the new drive and eliminate the original? Use the original drive for data.

Suggestions

Kind Regards,

Greg

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom