Giving away external drive, how to make reasonably sure the data is not recoverable

C

csjoh

Hi all,

I have a 14TB external drive that I don't need (don't ask) and want to give it away or sell it.

The drive has only been used once to backup my documents and pictures while reinstalling my system, and the data has since been deleted. However, a simple program like Recuva found lots of files when doing a deep scan, so I need to make sure the deleted data is reasonably difficult to get to for most people.

So, we're not doing a 7-pass routine, we're doing something that takes as little time as possible and gives me a reasonable result.

I eventually decided on doing a full-disk Bitlocker-to-Go encryption of the drive, which will take about 17 hours. When that's done, I'll move the drive to a different computer, delete the Bitlockered partition, create a new, unencrypted partition and pack it up.

I know there are other, supposedly safer methods, but is this "good enough" for sanitizing a drive while not spending a week performing the wipe/overwrite?

Thanks for reading.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom