replaced dead motherboard and now i can't boot

K

kleehammera

I had a cup of tea get spilled into my desktop and kill it yesterday. I replaced the motherboard (b450 tomahawk) with a b450 tomahawk max 2 and it's turning on fine (internal LEDs and fans work).

When I plug it into a monitor and boot it, it says that it's preparing automatic repair below the arsenal gaming logo. It gives me the option to go to drivers, which works fine. After this it brings me to the windows 10 choose an option screen. Continue just brings me back to the same screen eventually. I've tried startup repair under advanced options under troubleshoot, but that's unsuccessful. I've tried going into safe mode, but to do so it says that I have to restart to access all of the startup settings, which I do via the button provided. Afterward, when I re-navigate to it I get the same message.

From what I can tell, I have the option to Reset this PC through the troubleshoot menu without losing my personal files, but that'll delete all of my programs and windows settings which I'm really trying to avoid. It would take about a week of reconfiguring/reinstalling, not to mention that I don't still have the keys for some of that software, which begins to add up really quick.

I get that windows wants to wipe all of that in the event that I'm seeing this screen as a result of a virus, but that's pretty clearly not the case. Furthermore, it's to my understanding that windows 10 generally just boots up like magic and this isn't an issue. As far as I can tell, my m.2 boot drive should still be good based on where that water damage was (and that once the motherboard fries, there's no power going to the drive to fry it and so long as you dry it out, which i definitely did, it should be good).

Any ideas would be appreciated. I really don't want to go through the program reinstall and windows reconfigure if I don't have to.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom