Windows 10 gets stuck at 0% when "working on updates" for version 20H2 (Running version 1703)

G

GoldenFazGamer

I have an HP stream laptop that I've had for almost 2 and a half years now that I've been trying to update basically nonstop for the past 3-4 days and it just won't. [note: I tried to use the normal method of getting updates, but I am on 1703 and Windows Update says that I am up-to-date and I know that I'm not, so I have been trying to use the Update Assistant]

I initially tried to use the Windows 10 media creation tool since a lot of people on various sties have said that it's better than the update assistant, and I used another laptop to set it up on a flash drive, but when my computer restarts as part of the process, it says to "please insert the removable storage" or something like that, DESPITE the empty flash drive already being plugged in. I tried this with multiple storage devices and variants (I also tried using an SD card, and it gave the same error despite the program recognizing it and using it up until the restart) but to no avail. I then tried the Update Assistant, and it will function throughout the entire process (although it's given me the error code of 0xc0000005 on two occasions, both times were fixed by just running the Windows Update troubleshooter) until it goes to the "Working on updates" screen, where it will stay at 0% for around an hour or so until it restart and says "Undoing changes made to your computer" and then I'm back at square one, at my desktop, still running version 1703 of Windows 10.

Things I've tried:
-Resetting Windows Update

-Running the Windows Update Troubleshooter

-Disabling the Windows Firewall (some site told me it would work)
-Using Different Flash Drives

If it helps anyone, I have around 10-9.5 gb of storage free on the built-in drive with a completely empty 16 gb flash drive plugged in. I DID get the "working on updates" screen to start working yesterday, but the laptop died mid-update, and I haven't been able to get it working since. My Windows installation is working entirely fine, but Windows did say something about repairing the installation when I booted it back up.

Any help would be appreciated, because I am entirely lost on what to do.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom