Webcam won't work in any browser; works for other applications

K

kylePirate

I have a similar issue as this previous question. (I'm posting it here cause the other thread is locked.) But some websites it works for (such as the camera test from the google chrome help section), while the places I want to use it (Discord, Roll 20, Meet) either don't allow it to function, don't register it's function, or crash.

Roll 20 and Discord in particular don't output from me, but also don't let me hear or see other people who's webcams apparently work fine.

I've checked the permissions and firefox and chrome are both allowed to access it.

---

I have no problem using the built-in webcam for Windows Hello login, Skype, or Zoom. It will not, however, work in any web browser; I've tried Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. For Chrome and Edge, it does not prompt for permission and does not list any cameras available (ie: in Google Meet). For Firefox, when I access a page using the webcam, it simply crashes.

I've checked the browser permissions, and the Windows privacy permissions. The latter is enabled, but the browsers are not listed among the set of applications requesting permission. Oddly Skype always shows up in the 'Allow desktop apps...' list as 'Currently in use', even when Skype is fully closed (as verified via Task Manager).

Any ideas?

---

I can only add that from my perspective, other people's webcam devices are just as broken as mine. For Discord, I couldn't hear anyone while in the voice chat, they couldn't hear me either... but that indicates that it wasn't merely my webcam's output that was busted. (for the record, no, their stuff worked fine and they were talking around me)

For Roll 20 it's the same. I can access the page on Firefox (but not on Chrome, it just never finished loading) and interact with the page, but my camera and audio was turned off, and from my perspective everyone else's was too.

In Meet.google.com it did crash as it finished loading me into the entry space.

I haven't tried skype, zoom, or google hangouts.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom