Activation error while trying to upgrade a old HP PC that came with Windows Vista to Windows 10, using a genuine Windows 7 ultimate version

N

Nittur

Hi,

I had bought a HP desktop 10 years ago that came with Windows Vista pre-installed. The PC was mostly used offline and it never got activated.

I had also bought Windows 7 ultimate version and recently installed the same in an attempt to update to Windows 10 (I know I am late.. Didn't realize as this PC was hardly used). Windows 7 installation went successful. But, when I am trying to install Windows 10, product Key isn't matching. I searched the web and realized it may be due to windows not activated. Hence I tried to activate windows. It failed with a security error.

Then I tried activating via phone. Activation was successful. But, product Key in Windows 10 still didnt match. I think, it might have activated my Windows Vista. I used the product key that came with PC label (for Vista). Even that failed.

I am unable to change to Windows7 product key nor use Windows Vista product key. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom