S

SlickRCBD

My mother got a new laptop and set it up with a new Microsoft account. She had surgery right before COVID and I moved back in with her for what was supposed to be 6 months. Then COVID happened, I lost my job, and I've been reluctant to go apartment hunting, especially with only temp jobs.

I had set up logins and shares for her on older computers over the years with a more conventional account. The 98SE/XP dual-boot computer dates back to when I was still in college. I still use that thing as an ad-hoc file server so there is no question which computer a file is stored on.

Now, when she tried to access something stored on my XP or windows 7 computer, she is unable to update the file. There is read-only access to anyone on that share, but write requires an authenticated user.

Yet I can't figure out how to get Windows 10 to prompt me for a login and password to access that share, and Bing is just telling me how to turn on passwords for the guest account when I try to search or turn on password protected sharing.

In the past, with previous versions of windows I would get prompted for my login and password, but now I (I sat down at her console while logged in as her) just get an access denied.

What am I doing wrong to access \\slickswintel\SharedDocuments (the XP machine) or \\slicksgateway\public\documents with the credentials for the account swetee? I never get an option to input a login and password.

I'm tempted to just make her a local account called swestee like on all the other computers she has used and try to transfer everything to that to make it work. However, while I control the administrator account on that computer it is HER laptop, not mine.

DO NOT FIXATE ON HOW OBSOLETE THE XP MACHINE IS, JUST TELL ME HOW TO LOG IN TO THE WIN 7 OR XP SHARES. I apologize for the tone, but "support engineers" here tend to zero in on some minor detail not important to the question being asked and ignore the actual issue.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom