Windows Update and Microsoft Login only seem to work with a proxy now?

Z

zosxavius

I set up my computer a while ago to tether with my phone and run over a proxy running on the phone. This works really great.

My problem is if I either A) just ignore the proxy or B) connect to another network without a proxy server and turn off the proxy in Windows settings, Windows Update and the Microsoft login don't seem to work. I can use all my apps and Chrome just fine and everything seems to have a working TCP/IP stack except windows itself which honestly makes no sense. I just reinstalled for like the 3rd time and while I could get system update working ok without a proxy server, adding a microsoft login to my account failed no matter what and the internet connection troubleshooter would also fail. Connect to my phone and turn the proxy back on in windows' settings and voila it works just fine.

What am I possibly missing? I went through my TCP/IP settings and did a hard network reset and nothing seems to help. Tried turning off my firewall. Created a new profile to make sure it wasn't just profile corruption. Ran SFC and DISM to make sure my install was valid. I'm really at a loss of what to do here. At least I finally figured out it was the proxy setting that magically made everything work, but connecting to just a regular Wifi network and turning if off just leads to endless frustration. The only manual TCP/IP setting I had was DNS pegged at 8.8.8.8 and turning that back to automatic of course did nothing. I can ping google and browse the web. The store loads. So universal apps seem to have ok connectivity.

I mean I can just use this laptop forever tethered to my phone I guess but it would be nice to at least figure out what's going on. Only other thing I can think of that is weird is that my TTL is set to 65, but that shouldn't really hurt anything. Why would windows applications have full access to the internet but not the system itself? Its almost like it thinks there is still a proxy even when I have it turned off. I feel like there is a setting or something I'm missing here.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom