Need help for a friend who can no longer access his documents

• Thread starter WishyWishyKennyFishy
  • Start date
W

WishyWishyKennyFishy

I have been trying for about a week or so to help a friend with his computer. It's a fairly old computer (about 8 years old) and it has been having issues recently. The files (like the files in the Documents folder for instance) were not able to viewed in Windows Explorer when going to the Documents folder. However, going to the Documents folder from This PC > Windows C: > Users > Username > Documents seemed to work. However, he wanted to get to his important files without needing to locate the Documents folder, so my other friend who was helping at the time somehow managed to move the folder for the user profile (the only user profile on the PC) to the desktop. I'm not exactly sure how that happened since the Desktop is a subfolder of the user, but that somehow managed to work. I've tried to get the same result with virtual machines running Windows 10 but have had no luck in doing so. When they booted the computer back up, the files were gone and the links to folders (like Documents, Pictures, and so on) were all gone too. That was when I started to try and figure this out, and I've had no luck so far. Unfortunately, the computer keeps creating temporary users since the only user was moved out of the Users folder, so a temporary user has been made. I looked into a lot of methods to recover the user account and remove the temp accounts such as restarting (which only created more temporary accounts), editing the registry, trying to create another user (when trying this, I had the hidden administrator account enabled and tried to add a new user that way, but it would not let me), enabling Safe Mode, and trying to just copy any files we could. Sadly, none of it seemed to work. I see that there are a few other options in this post: you have been signed in with temporary profile-win10 , but I am worried about doing something that is actually difficult and losing my friends files, since they are incredibly important. The only thing that I can think of as to why this is different from other cases is Windows 10 S Mode. The computer has been in S Mode for a while, and I believe that it may be the cause of these issues with getting the files back. When trying to make another user with the Administrator account, it told me that my version of Windows did not allow for that, so should I try to take it out of S Mode and see what happens? My other idea was to try updating it, since this mostly happened after a Windows Update (sadly, there were no backups before the Windows Update occurred), and another Windows Update may potentially fix it, but I worry that the update could break it as well. I've looked into a lot of the solutions and I just don't know if I'll be able to do the more complex ones, so is there anything I can do that won't be too complex?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom