Windows can't see the DVD drive after the computer went unused for a few months.

K

kimmarch-force

I see many questions but have seen no suggestions. Here is my situation. I had an activated copy of windows 7. I upgraded this to windows 10 when that was first an option. I have run windows update many times over the last few years. I know that in 2020 I was able to see the DVD drive in the file explorer and was able to read, play, or otherwise use the contents of the media. I recently turned on the computer after leaving it alone for months. I ran windows update it now shows that everything is current.

I am not able to see the DVD drive. This is true whether I try a blank unformatted disc or one that has data that I can read on another machine. When I boot (I have the machine set up to dual boot) and use the same hardware I am able to read/write/play DVD contents under Linux. My first thought is that somehow there is no longer a driver or that the driver got corrupted. I see advice to run the "hardware and device troubleshooter" but this seems to be no longer available on this latest windows 10 update.

Do you have any idea how I can proceed? Has that troubleshooter been eliminated?

Thanks

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom