I recently noticed my laptop is taking well over 5 min to boot up and I've tried everything

L

L+A

Hi

I just started noticing in the past 3-4 weeks that my laptop is taking forever to boot. It varies everyday which screens it lags on more than others but once it gets to loading the desktop, it always takes a couple of mins after that for the taskbar buttons to finally load.

I don't see how to paste images of system specs or device windows to show what things look like so I'll have to type everything out. Here are my specs:

HP 650-G1

INTEL Core i5-4310 CPU 2.70 GHz

RAM 8GB (7.9 GB usable)

64 bit operating system

Windows 10 Pro

Windows C: drive 404 GB free of 465 GB

I run malware and antivirus weekly - no issues. I've run chkdsk twice, no issues were found either time. I've run sfc three times now. The first time problems were found and fixed. No issues were found the second 2 times.

Startup programs have always been the same since I got this laptop and wish I knew how to load a screen shot of that window but the only 3 enabled on startup are: QLBcontroller, Avast AvLaunch component and Windows security notification icon.

I've done disk cleanup. Defragmenting happens weekly - and again wish I knew how to capture that window on here - but the Windows C: drive is OK (0% fragmented) and the System HDD has been saying needs optimization (14% fragmented) but each time I try optimizing, nothing changes.

I've checked the graphics driver and it's up to date.

I've tried checking and unchecking fast startup (recommended), and rebooted each time but that doesn't change anything.

I wish I knew how to show the update history here in case that's important...there were updates on 10MAR21 and one on 11MAR which is maybe around when this started happening but maybe it didn't start until a week or two after that.

I even looked at the task manager/performance/memory tab and I don't think there's anything wrong there but I could be wrong.

Once it is finally 100% booted it seems to work fine.

Anyway, that's all I can remember right now...I may have tried other things that will come to me later.

I'm not super computer savvy, clearly, but I know the basics. I can't afford to take my laptop in to be fixed so hoping someone on here can help!

Thanks

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom