Cannot Update to Windows v20H2 "because this PC has an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware"?

M

mjanicek

Hello Microsoft Community,

Today I'm posting with one of the weirdest things I've had happen to me since I built my PC. When trying to do one of the routine updates Windows gets seemingly weekly, I get an error that appears like the following:

89fb96a3-c010-45e3-8844-ab55e91b00d1?upload=true.png

After doing a bit of research (primarily this thread and some other stuff regarding MBR2GPT), I don't think I have enough information to do this myself and so I would appreciate some help from all of you knowledgeable people :)

As it appears, I can use MBR2GPT with my current version of Windows 10 (v20H2) in order to convert my system drive to a suitable UEFI format, though even trying that added another degree of confusion to the mix. When I run cmd.exe as an Administrator and use /allowFullOS, just to try and validate if I can use the program, I get...

"MBR2GPT: Attempting to validate disk 1

MBR2GPT: Retrieving layout of disk

MBR2GPT: Validating layout, disk sector size is: 512 bytes

Cannot find OS partition(s) for disk 1"

Disk 1 is, of course, my main system disk, and I'm really not sure what to do anymore. I think I should be able to, but can I use MBR2GPT in order to re-format my UEFI so I can update Windows? Otherwise, what are my alternatives? I'm not exactly sure how to create a backup/recovery drive in Windows 10, so I would appreciate some help with that as well if it is a more advisable route.

Thanks so much in advance, everyone!

Continue reading...