Win10 20H2 Intel Dynamic Tuning Processor Participant

A

aerosplat

I just received a Win10 update to 20H2. Unfortunately, this update renewed a problem I was having previously, but had solved, with my HP Envy 13-aq0045cl in that the Dynamic PL1 scheme (lowers PL1 to as low as 6W to keep laptop "comfortable to handle" by sacrificing performance) makes the machine too slow to do any realtime tasks (e.g. streaming audio). It turns out that the Dynamic PL1 is being enforced by HP's version of the driver for Intel Dynamic Tuning Processor Participant (IDTPP). Before 20H2, If I uninstalled IDTPP, the Dynamic PL1 manipulation was halted and, upon manually resetting PL1 to 15W, I was able to enjoy the performance that my Intel 8565U processor is capable of delivering, without any thermal limit issues whatsoever.

The problem, however, is that Win10 20H2 appears to have quite an attitude about ensuring IDTPP is up and running. When I uninstall it, it gets automatically reinstalled (though not immediately), even without a reboot or scan for hardware changes. If I add a "restrictions" entry in the registry to prevent this device (or all of IDTF) from getting reinstalled, some other part of 20H2 sets a crazy-low PL1 that I can't change (or even see other than a constant state of "PL1 Power Limit Reached") and that pushes the CPU clock down to as low as 300MHz. If I remove the driver for IDTPP and adjust permissions to keep it from being reinstalled, the same thing happens (PL1 gets set to a completely unworkable number).

Apparently, I have to allow IDTPP to install successfully, then uninstall it after boot. I need to know, however, how to stop the OS from reinstalling it. Is there another process or service that I need to kill/disable? Is there any other way to permanently remove IDTPP (or all of IDTF) without making 20H2 angry and vindictive?

Thanks!

With kind regards,

-Dale

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom