System Freeze

A

Adam-Paynter

Hi there,

so this is a problem i thought had been fixed but has popped back up again.

In late February - right after an Nvidia driver release - i started to get system freezes, as in mouse not moving, nothing responding, hard restart needed, however it only ever happened in a very specific situation. Namely, i use 3 monitors for work (architecture) but then switch that back to one monitor for gaming. The system freeze only ever occured right after i turned the second and third monitors off.

The freezes then got progressively worse / seemingly more random, until the machine wouldnt even boot to windows. I unplugged the main monitor from the graphics card (MSI 1080Ti) and into the mobo, system back up, and then on advice from the Nvidia forum, rolled back to an older driver using DDU in safe mode.

Everything has been running smoothly since then (3rd of April) and then tonight, right as i was finishing up work and turning off the extra monitors BAM - another system freeze.

Since the first round of problems i had installed whocrashed and got back the following message:

[COLOR=rgba(17, 17, 17, 1)]The following dump files were found but could not be read. These files may be corrupted:
C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\PoW32kWatchdog-20210421-2243.dmp[/COLOR]

ive run chkdsk, sfc /scannow and the windows memory diagnostic tool, all came back clean.
Is there anything else i can do here short of the nuclear option?

note: one theory i have is the power settings for the graphics card. I have this set to adaptive, and the freezes all seem to occur when the card is "powering down" or moving from a state of higher workload (3 monitors, gaming) to lower workload (1 screen, in the 20-30 second window after gaming). Im going to try switching this over from adaptive to performance so that it maintains power and see if it crashes again

[COLOR=rgba(17, 17, 17, 1)][/COLOR]

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom