Windows 10 Updates Fail 0xe0000003

B

Berne Stober

Hello - I've had this error since 20H2 became available in October. However I finally resolved the problem. Let me tell you what I did. First, I tried all of the other things I could find on the web to solve the problem. None of them worked. I was not about to do a clean install. Yesterday I ran the windows update standalone tool. It checked my hardware and found no issues except that my disk drive did not meet the criteria. Today I googled around and found that somewhere in the last several years, MS assumed you had a GPT disk. All new WIN10 installs convert your disk to a GPT disk. My win10 install was an upgrade from win7 which probably was also an upgrade from Win xp. I found some information on Tom's hardware site about problem with update due to using a non-GPT disk. I followed the procedures at that site to check and indeed I did not have a GPT disk as my system disk. I then googled around to find a way to convert a disk into GPT without losing data. (MS of course recommends a complete wipe and reformat to convert the disk to a GPT disk. Which is a nonstarter for a system that has old software from the 00's that I can't locate installation media.) There are several tools available, either free or paid. I used EASEUS Partition master, on a seven day trial basis. After mucking around through the menus I was able to convert the disk to GPT. (Prior to this I had corrected disk errors with a chkdsk /f.) Then I added a small partition to the disk as the Tom's hardware writeup recommended. Then using the standalone update utility I again tried to update. This time the PC passed all the hardware tests, and started the update process, which took quite a while. In previous updates it would always stop at 7% update, then restart several times and finally on last restart roll everything back. This time though it broke through. I write this hoping that this will help other unfortunates who are stuck in update hell through MS negligence in managing their software. Good luck!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom