BSoD reboot loop prevents access to recovery options or Windows 10 installation

R

RichardB_23

Hi there,

Since about the 15th of April I have had a situation where my Windows 10 immediately BSoDs after the Motherboard logo disappears (in my case the TUF Gaming logo). This initially occurred on the boot cycle post the most recent Windows update (I do not know if this is the cause or purely coincidence but the boot was after the "update and shutdown" request from Windows 10) and it had a BSoD with the error "Page Fault In Nonpaged Area". After this the computer restarts and a "preparing to automatically repair" message appears around the same time as the TUF Gaming logo does.

After this message another BSoD appears with one of a handful of possible errors codes being either KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED or predominantly 0xc000021a. The computer restarts and after the third or fourth restart there is always the 0xc000021a code and the computer outright shuts down with no recovery options every appearing.

The odd part in this is that I also get BSoDs when attempting to boot a windows installation ISO file burned onto a USB drive. I have written this ISO to the USB drive using WMC tool and Rufus, and have even used Rufus to retrieve an old version of Windows 10 from mid 2020 as an attempt. The first time I attempted to boot to a Windows 10 installation ISO (which I got using WMC) it loaded the interface and I selected "repair" after which I experienced a BSoD. I do not believe that the USB is at fault as I used the very same USB and was able to boot into the installation interface successfully on my laptop.

So my current issues are that I cannot access Windows Recovery options nor can I repair or reinstall off of a Windows Installation ISO but I have had success running a live Ubuntu environment off the USB drive and booting into it successfully with which I retrieved my Windows 10 minidump files.

- I have performed a RAM test using memtest86, unfortunately only with 4 passes as of this time as I only have the free version

- I have unplugged all unnecessary components such as any drive that is not being used as the Windows 10 boot drive, a single monitor, and my GPU as I do not have integrated graphics.

- I have not yet reset my CMOS and I cannot use Intel Diagnostic tool to test my CPU as it can only run on Windows environments

- I have not attempted to progress fully through the installation steps when testing my USB on my laptop as I only have a Windows 8 OEM license for the laptop so I am worried it can cause problems + I boot to my Windows 8 via Grub which I would rather not have to set up again if something goes wrong.

- This has happened once in the past around the 9th of April (04/09/2021) but at the time I disabled fast boot and it started functioning again. Whether disabling was the solution, I am uncertain, but fast boot is still disabled and I once again have my current issue.

My Hardware is:

GPU = AMD RX580

Motherboard = TUF Gaming H370 PRO GAMING (WIFI)

RAM = Corsair 16 Gb 2666 MHz

CPU = i5-9400F

PSU = 650W Superflower

Please let me know the preferred way in which to upload my minidump files and I will do so. I plan to try to reset my CMOS via my CMOS reset pin tomorrow or on the 23rd of April depending on work. If anyone can help me find a solution to this or even a possible cause then I would greatly appreciate it as my current anxiety is having to replace components (except for the RAM or drives) due to current chip costs across the hardware market.

If you require any further information please let me know. I might have been a bit verbose but I wanted to include as much detail as I could regarding this issue.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom