Re: About Registry Cleaners

B

Brad

Hi,

Doesn't WinXP have a built in "SCANREG" as does Windows 98SE?

On a Win98 computer, I have often used the command (in Dos mode),
"SCANREG /FIX /OPT" . Only recently, I bought a WinXP laptop, but I didn't
search for a SCANREG or it's equivalent yet.

Brad

On Tue, 6 May 2008 17:42:11 -0400, in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general you
wrote:

>"Malke" wrote...
>> Tony wrote:
>>
>> > One thing I did that really stopped WinXP from crashing was a program
>> > called RegSeeker. You can download it from most reputable free download
>> > websites. It has a "Clean the Registry" feature that gets rid of lots of
>> > crap that affect performance and crashes systems.

>>
>> This is terrible advice. Registry cleaners are snake oil at best, at worst
>> they will hose Windows entirely. You may have had luck using RegSeeker but
>> you were indeed one of the lucky few. The registry does not need cleaning.
>> There is no "crap" in XP's registry that will affect performance and crash
>> systems that sounds good but it isn't how Windows works. Having some extra
>> entries in the registry doesn't matter.

>
>Sorry, but there can be plenty of crap in the registry. There are two cases that are
>easy to make, and they are both due to stuff left over by uninstalled programs that had
>not been properly uninstalled.
>
>First:
>You can have programs that were uninstalled that left crap in the registry. Some of them
>are leftover ActiveX controls that are still loaded and still use resources. And some of
>these leftover ActiveX controls can cause conflicts that can cause the computer to
>become unstable - which possibly was why the program was uninstalled in the first
>place - and if the program's designer couldn't even uninstall his program correctly,
>it's possible that he couldn't write an ActiveX control properly.
>
>Second:
>In most cases, when the registry needs to be accessed, it is accessed directly from
>disk. It's easy to understand that the bigger the registry, the longer it takes to
>access the desired registry key. Now, of course by this logic it always speeds up the
>computer by removing any unneeded entries, but the issue can be one of diminishing
>returns - in a 5Meg NTUSER.DAT file, cleaning out a only dozen unloaded entries won't
>cause a speedup that is perceptible by any human.
>
>But you might see a noticable effect by cleaning out 100 unused entries - and I have
>recently used RegSeeker to clean over 700 entries on an old WinXP machine that has given
>the computer new life. BTW, the time difference in accessing the registry is not at the
>CPU clock speed (would can be nanoseconds) but milliseconds - and that can really does
>add up to seconds when your registry is bloated.
>
>Having said all that, I will admit that most registry cleaners fall into one of two
>categories - either they clean too little to be of any use at all (as in Symantec's
>WinDoctor) or they clean too damn much and can render some programs unusable (as in
>V-COM's RegistryFixer). I feel that RegSeeker is "just right" however, I have only
>cleaned out registry entries marked as "green" (it weighs the danger of removing an
>entry as green, yellow, red).
>
>And if you know the history of the system, and if you've never uninstalled any programs,
>a registry cleaner won't do much good.
>
>Oh, I almost forgot - if you uninstall Norton AntiVirus, if you run a registry cleaner
>and then re-install Norton, your antivirus subscription can be reset (assuming that you
>are silly enough to use Norton in the first place).
>
>FYI, I am a hardware design engineer so I tend to see these things from the hardware
>standpoint.
>
>Tony
>

B

Bob I

WinXP will fix it itself. There isn't a "user initiated" option.

Brad wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Doesn't WinXP have a built in "SCANREG" as does Windows 98SE?
>
> On a Win98 computer, I have often used the command (in Dos mode),
> "SCANREG /FIX /OPT" . Only recently, I bought a WinXP laptop, but I didn't
> search for a SCANREG or it's equivalent yet.
>
> Brad
>
>
> On Tue, 6 May 2008 17:42:11 -0400, in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general you
> wrote:
>
>
>>"Malke" wrote...
>>
>>>Tony wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>One thing I did that really stopped WinXP from crashing was a program
>>>>called RegSeeker. You can download it from most reputable free download
>>>>websites. It has a "Clean the Registry" feature that gets rid of lots of
>>>>crap that affect performance and crashes systems.
>>>
>>>This is terrible advice. Registry cleaners are snake oil at best, at worst
>>>they will hose Windows entirely. You may have had luck using RegSeeker but
>>>you were indeed one of the lucky few. The registry does not need cleaning.
>>>There is no "crap" in XP's registry that will affect performance and crash
>>>systems that sounds good but it isn't how Windows works. Having some extra
>>>entries in the registry doesn't matter.

>>
>>Sorry, but there can be plenty of crap in the registry. There are two cases that are
>>easy to make, and they are both due to stuff left over by uninstalled programs that had
>>not been properly uninstalled.
>>
>>First:
>>You can have programs that were uninstalled that left crap in the registry. Some of them
>>are leftover ActiveX controls that are still loaded and still use resources. And some of
>>these leftover ActiveX controls can cause conflicts that can cause the computer to
>>become unstable - which possibly was why the program was uninstalled in the first
>>place - and if the program's designer couldn't even uninstall his program correctly,
>>it's possible that he couldn't write an ActiveX control properly.
>>
>>Second:
>>In most cases, when the registry needs to be accessed, it is accessed directly from
>>disk. It's easy to understand that the bigger the registry, the longer it takes to
>>access the desired registry key. Now, of course by this logic it always speeds up the
>>computer by removing any unneeded entries, but the issue can be one of diminishing
>>returns - in a 5Meg NTUSER.DAT file, cleaning out a only dozen unloaded entries won't
>>cause a speedup that is perceptible by any human.
>>
>>But you might see a noticable effect by cleaning out 100 unused entries - and I have
>>recently used RegSeeker to clean over 700 entries on an old WinXP machine that has given
>>the computer new life. BTW, the time difference in accessing the registry is not at the
>>CPU clock speed (would can be nanoseconds) but milliseconds - and that can really does
>>add up to seconds when your registry is bloated.
>>
>>Having said all that, I will admit that most registry cleaners fall into one of two
>>categories - either they clean too little to be of any use at all (as in Symantec's
>>WinDoctor) or they clean too damn much and can render some programs unusable (as in
>>V-COM's RegistryFixer). I feel that RegSeeker is "just right" however, I have only
>>cleaned out registry entries marked as "green" (it weighs the danger of removing an
>>entry as green, yellow, red).
>>
>>And if you know the history of the system, and if you've never uninstalled any programs,
>>a registry cleaner won't do much good.
>>
>>Oh, I almost forgot - if you uninstall Norton AntiVirus, if you run a registry cleaner
>>and then re-install Norton, your antivirus subscription can be reset (assuming that you
>>are silly enough to use Norton in the first place).
>>
>>FYI, I am a hardware design engineer so I tend to see these things from the hardware
>>standpoint.
>>
>>Tony
>>

>
>

B

Bruce Chambers

Brad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Doesn't WinXP have a built in "SCANREG" as does Windows 98SE?
>

No, it doesn't. There's no need for such a thing.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Back