What in 8th generation Intel CPUs prevents USB devices from working in Windows 10 that do work with 7th gen Intel or current AMD CPUs?

• Thread starter Dominik Schumann
  • Start date
D

Dominik Schumann

Hi,

I'm a member of a tech support team. Our company produces analytical devices. To control our machines we deliver latest gen Windows 10 Pro PCs to our customers.

Currently we have a detrimental issue with one of our product models that doesn't work anymore since we switched from 7th gen to 8th gen Intel processors in the PCs that control the machines. The devices contain a camera connected via USB, which doesn't consistently produce images with our software in the 8th gen PCs.

To sum up, the configuration in both PC types is identical, Windows 10 is identical with the same set of current updates. In the previous 6th and 7th gen CPUs the device worked flawlessly right out of the box without any adjustments to Windows system config.

The only difference in hardware is that the new PCs have an i5-8400 CPUs with B360 chipset, while the previous PCs had i5-7400 CPUs with B250 chipset.

The test PC we have that comes with a latest gen AMD Ryzen Pro 5 CPU also showed no issues and worked just fine.

I checked everything from Windows 10 owner/user/admin privileges down to BIOS settings. Nothing ever seemed to work as a permanent fix.

What puzzles me most is: I can get the camera to work by keeping Windows busy, e.g. by telling it to change writing permissions in a folder (e.g. rightclick on C:\Windows folder>properties >> uncheck write protection>apply). As long as the progress bar is still there, I can get the camera to scan correctly. As soon as the dummy write protection task is completed, the camera can't produce images anymore. This works with any set of folders large enough to keep the progress bar active long enough for our software to access the camera.

I'm totally out of ideas. Please help!

Thanks,

Dom

Continue reading...