Disk Partition Order for Windows10 Pro - UEFI Boot

• Thread starter The Explorer Guy
  • Start date
T

The Explorer Guy

Hi,

I had installed Windows 10Pro Ver 1903 on a MBR disk with Legacy Boot and Windows was working fine, but as I had 3 HDDs on my system, the Windows had got installed across 2 HDDs with Windows ( C: Drive) on one HDD and the Boot loader on another HDD. But the PC was booting fine and I had no issues. As my Mobo BIOS had option of UEFI, too, I wanted to change it to UEFI boot without re-installing Windows. Then started a whole deal of reading on various forums and I learnt about using MBR2GPT on Windows platform.

MBR2GPT refused to work in my case as it could not find all of the Windows OS on the same HDD. Then I did more reading and learnt that a UEFI boot can be done on an MBR disk and so I created an EFI partition on the MBR disk and got the Windows to load on an UEFI Boot and was happily using the PC until one day, along came version Upgrade to 1909 with no issues.

My troubles started when MS released Cumulative and other updates after upgrade to Ver.1909. The Updates would automatically install and uninstall on endless loops each day. Back to more reading and I found that for some strange reason MS required the HDD of Windows to be a GPT for a UEFI booting system. The Windows updates were failing because of the GUID Type id of the EFI partition. Mine was an EFI partion on a MBR disk which had a different id and NOT the "c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b" id that WU was searching for. A clean install was now not an option for me , as we had multiple users on this PC and no way that everything on the disks can be salvaged before a clean install.

So then I was forced to use Third party software to convert the HDD to GPT without Data loss and got the correct GUID id for my EFI system partition. All the Windows updates then got installed without any problems, but up came another problem in the form of Update KB 4535996. The system became so slow at Boot after this update that it took 10-11 Minutes to load to the functional Desktop. Back to more reading at various forums and trying all sorts of suggested fixes, I came to know about the MSR which is created automatically when Windows is installed on a GPT disk for UEFI boot. Since mine was a converted GPT disk it did not have the MSR, which someone suggested could cause issues for future Updates and Feature Upgrades.

Then after some more careful reading I created a 16MB MSR partition, but this has NOT solved my slow boot time issue.

Now I have the following queries.

1) The GPT Disk was NTFS formatted and I used Diskpart with the "create msr partition size=16" command line. I did not put the command for FAT32 partition for the MSR ( like I did when making the EFI partition ) - Will that be a problem ? What should be the Format of the MSR partition ?

2) Will the Partition order matter ?

Partition 1 Windows 125GB ( C:Drive)- Partition 2 System 100MB (EFI boot)- Partition 3 MSR 16MB

I set the WinRE to use the Windows in C: Drive and did not create a separate Recovery Partition.

3) Due to slow boot issues, I even converted the other 2 Data HDDs to GPT - Should I create an MSR on these 2 Data HDDs too ?

My current system partition order is given below:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.693]

(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.18362.1

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.

On computer: PRATEEK-PC

DISKPART> lis dis

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt

-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---

Disk 0 Online 149 GB 23 GB *

Disk 1 Online 465 GB 2048 KB *

Disk 2 Online 149 GB 1024 KB *

DISKPART> sel dis 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> lis par

Partition ### Type Size Offset

------------- ---------------- ------- -------

Partition 1 Primary 124 GB 101 MB

Partition 2 System 100 MB 125 GB

Partition 3 Reserved 16 MB 125 GB

DISKPART> sel dis 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> lis par

Partition 1 Primary 243 GB 1024 KB

Partition 2 Primary 515 MB 243 GB

Partition 3 Primary 221 GB 244 GB

DISKPART> sel dis 2

Disk 2 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> lis par

Partition 1 Primary 79 GB 31 KB

Partition 2 Primary 69 GB 79 GB

DISKPART> lis vol

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------

Volume 0 J DVD-ROM 0 B No Media

Volume 1 C NTFS Partition 124 GB Healthy Boot

Volume 2 FAT32 Partition 100 MB Healthy System

Volume 3 E New SATA NTFS Partition 243 GB Healthy

Volume 4 H New Volume NTFS Partition 515 MB Healthy

Volume 5 I New SATA NTFS Partition 221 GB Healthy

Volume 6 F DISK2_VOL7 NTFS Partition 79 GB Healthy

Volume 7 K DISK2_VOL8 NTFS Partition 69 GB Healthy

DISKPART> exit

Leaving DiskPart...

C:\Windows\system32>

Any Help in clarifying the above queries would be of immense help. The PC is booting and working well otherwise.

(I now suspect that the problem is with the Update KB 4535996......but I have a separate thread ongoing on that issue

which seems to be going nowhere, at the moment )

Thanks !

The Explorer Guy

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom