RDP Client Hanging Before Prompting for Credentials

S

Scjohnson1988

I help manage a small Windows environment of about 15-20 workstations/laptops, and the oldest desktop we have all of a sudden started hanging from anywhere between 1 to 5 minutes after entering the IP or hostname before functioning as expected.

Outline of Problem: Open mstsc, enter an IP, hostname, or FQDN, then click "Connect". Once the "Conenct button is clicked, the prompt grays out for between 1-5 minutes before it prompts for credentials. Everything seemingly works fine after that. No other devices have this issue, and they're all in the same OU as the other Windows desktops and the same account works fine on other devices. It is not networked related, as the same issue occurs when connecting to devices that are on the same switch or remotely over an L3VPN. To the best of my knowledge, no changes were made recently, so I am not quite sure what caused this. None of the other Windows box is having this issue and they mostly have the exact same software footprint with slight differences in hardware (all are Dells). It's on Windows 10 Professional version 1809 and it's currently on the May build(.1217). I cannot confirm if this device specifically had the same problems on a previous version of Windows 10. While the connection is grayed out while waiting for the credentials prompt to render, I am also still able to comfortably use the desktop without any issues.

Things I've tried:

• Connected via hostname, IP, and FQDN at credential prompt along with flushing DNS. All name resolutions are good.
  • In the RDP options, I've tested disabling persistent bitmap caching, remote audio, printers, smart cards. I've lowered connection quality requirements and colors as well.
  • Used multiple credentials, including testing the same credentials from other Windows 10 devices to the same destination
  • Ensured any networking applications are closed/not running (primarily Cisco AnyConnect) and disabled all firewall and antivirus components
  • Flushed DNS cache and confirmed name resolutions are correct
  • Set the RDP process priority to "Realtime" and "High" in the task manager while confirming no bottlenecks in CPU/RAM usage before clicking "Connect"
  • Added this registry key: HKLM\software\policies\microsoft\windows nt\Terminal Services\Client\fClientDisableUDP
  • Confirmed I'm connected to the local domain controller (echo %LOGONSERVER%)

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom