Windows 10 Can't Boot after June 2020 Cumulative Update KB4560960

J

Jericho Smith

Hi there,

I am hoping someone out there can help me troubleshoot a boot-up problem on a Dell XPS 8500 tower. I have a PC that cannot boot up after applying a Windows v1909 June 2020 Cumulative Update KB4560960. A home PC, very basic install, very little third party apps, no custom AntiVirus, or encryption media endpoints of any sort.

It goes into automatic repair / diagnosing PC and then stuck on the screen "Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC" with location of the Log file: E:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt.

I’ve done the following:

· The basic startup repairs, (I have no system restore points), and cannot boot into safe mode

· Checking the location of the Srt log file by going into Advanced Recovery/booting with Hirens Bootable CD/using Windows 10 1909 USB media stick, it does not exist—it never gets written

· CHKDSK /r /f /v

o It finds no problems but is not able to write the log file with this error:

o Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.

o Seems like it can’t get written to the disk

o Research indicates bad disk or read-only disk suggestively

o Ran all diagnostics on SSD with third party utilities: HDDScan, HD Tune, Crystal Disk, Dell Diagnostic—no indications of a faulty disk. Disk has 4000 hours on it

· Suspecting a read-only SSD disk, I did Diskpart command: attributes disk clear readonly

o Error with diskpart failed to clear disk attributes

o Tried everything on google like https://www.diskpart.com/diskpart/diskpart-failed-to-clear-disk-attributes-3889.html to force the disk to be writable but no luck

o Tried updating the firmware on the SSD

· SFC /Scannow /OffBootDir=E:\ /OffWinDir=E:\Windows

o Is not able to kick off and errors out

o windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation

o suggestions lead back to chkdsk which have no result

· I have rebuilt the BCD to no avail

· DISM /Image:E:\ /ScratchDir:E:\Scratch /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth

· Tried to remove the patch with: dism /image:F:\ /scratchdir:F:\scratch /Remove-Package /PackageName:package_for_

o Get an Error: 161
The specified path is invalid.

· Using DISM, it says the patch is installed.

· At this point, I am coming to the conclusion that something seems to have protected the drive from being writeable. However, I can still browse to the drive through Hirens boot cd/windows command line and create directories and files---so the SSD still seems writeable to me which makes no sense!

· I have tried to follow the guide at https://docs.microsIoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/advanced-troubleshooting-boot-problems#:~:text=On%20the%20Install%20Windows%20screen,if%20Windows%20can%20boot%20properly

o Based on this guide, I do not think I am making it to Kernel phase and am getting stuck in the boot loader phase

o Based on this phase its either a BCD or start up driver problem

· So my investigation is making me think there is potential driver problem which leads me to filter drivers at startup:

o Fltmc command reveals the basic native filter drivers that comes with Windows

o x:\windows\system32>fltmc

Filter Name Num Instances Altitude Frame
------------------------------ ------------- ------------ -----
FBWF 1 226000 0
WimFsf 1 161000 0
FileInfo 12 45000 0
Wof 4 40700 0

· Final thoughts, the Windows update could not apply properly because parts of the process may be hindered, and native command line repairs cannot function because they can’t write to their desired locations, something must be protecting the disk possibly which results in a no-boot.

Would anyone have any suggestions on how to continue troubleshooting further or have pointers in the right direction?

If I could get the SFC /scannow to run properly at all, that would be a great start at least!

Thank you to anyone out there!!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom